Making Good Choices
If you know Jon LaCorte, you know he does nothing half-hearted. Whether it’s designing high-end optics or choosing a specific rifle, he’s committed to quality and understands it comes at a price. Ten years ago Jon chose a Hart Custom rifle with an HS Precision stock because he needed an accurate rifle that was lightweight and very versatile…Something that he could take on mule deer and antelope hunts. In a recent visit back to the Hart Custom Shop, Jon and Bobby discussed new advancements and available “stock options” on the market today.
Bobby Hart, 4th generation custom rifle builder states that “everybody wants something different, so I have to carry a candy store of stock options. We try and deal with just about everything and let the customer pick”, explains Bobby. As you tour his shop, here’s just a few of the models you’ll see displayed:
- HS Precision – They have been building high quality composite rifle stocks for over 30 years. The first company to build a hand laminated composite rifle stock that incorporated an aluminum bedding block. Over the years they have continued to strive to provide the highest quality factory direct and drop-in stocks in the shooting sports industry. Producing over 135 different rifle stock models and each is backed by a lifetime warranty.
- McMillan Fiberglass Stocks – Bobby’s bread and butter. We’ve been dealing with Kelly and his dad for years. Every McMillan stock features precision accuracy built with incredible toughness. What’s more, McMillan offers more styles, more colors, more options and more customizations than any other manufacturer. So you can set up your custom rifle exactly the way you want.
- AG Composites – AG Composites uses the highest quality carbon fiber, epoxy, and paint products to manufacture premium line of composite rifle stocks. The Carbon Fiber Stock that Booby recommends weighs only 24.1 ounces and is an excellent choice when weight is a factor. According to Hart, “AG Composite stocks are neatly cut out and aligned perfectly and not a lot of work to embed these stocks.”
- Grayboe - A Military owned company that truly focuses on the details. As long range shooting continues to grow, more and more shooters gravitating to the “tactical” type stocks. They incorporate a palm swell into many of its stocks which helps with better positioning when shooting prone or using a bipod. When they set out to design a stock, they design in characteristics like recoil absorption and advantageous strength to weight ratios among many others. Grayboe doesn’t take an existing formulation and make it fit a need; they take a need and formulate a material to fit that need perfectly.
Bobby Hart explains why his custom shop carrys such a wide range of custom stocks. Learn from one of the best!
Advantages of Chassis Type Stocks
- Don’t Require Bedding – The points within the stock center itself so bedding the stock is not necessary. In Bobby’s experience, “the screws are not going to come loose.”
- Recoil Lug Area – In Chassis type stocks the recoil lug area is quite broad. So if you have a custom barreled action made that has a thicker recoil lug you can utilize it because it’s already cut out for it.
- Durable – “These stocks can take a hit and still hold point of impact very well”, according to Hart. As long as you don’t leave them out in the sun, they will work just fine
Injection Molded Stocks
Because injection molded stocks were made to “hit a price point” they tend to not produce the consistency needed to be truly accurate. The Hart custom team encourages everyone to know that changing out their stock is an excellent alternative to buying a brand new rifle.
“You have to have consistency before you can have accuracy.” Bobby Hart
A Little Bit About Bobby Hart
He was born in to a family tradition of custom gun builders and gunsmiths. He now has taken over the lead role from his father, Wally Hart, at Robert W. Hart and Son Inc. as a 4th generation custom rifle builder. Located in Nescopeck, Pennsylvania, this small, family run business is known world-wide to the hunting, shooting, military and law enforcement industries. Some of Bob’s credits include:
5 Time Jr. Bench Rest Champion
1986 300YD Heavy Varmint Champ
2000 1000YD World Open Championship Light Gun
2001 IBS 1000YD International Championships High Score
A member of the Varmint Hunters 1500 Yard Club